As a business owner, you are always on the lookout for growing your business and what better way than to expand it over the border. The U.S consumer market is a lucrative one and there is no doubt that our neighbors would say no to products from Canada. Whereas when it comes to actually shipping your products across to the U.S, you might be surprised to find the huddles that you have got through to reach your customers in the States.
There are both big players and small players in the cross-border shipping sphere that provide some great options. To comb through each one of them and find the perfect one might take up a lot of your time. Ship Shop is an easier way to do exactly that and even more. We provide the best shipping pricing for your products at the most convenience as well.
Besides the broader perspective of choosing the right carrier, here are some important things you should keep in mind before sending your products to the US.
Prohibited and Restricted Items
To put it in simple words, some things that are legal in Canada might not be legal in the U.S. and vice versa. The following are the brief categories;
- Personal goods or non-sale shipments
- FDA-regulated items and shipments requiring special clearance
- Foods and anything taken by the mouth – food and beverages, toothbrushes, health supplements
- Drugs (Prescription and non-prescription drugs) – including cannabis
- Cosmetics or skincare products with active ingredients or considered as drugs
- Biologics (vaccines, blood products)
- Medical Devices
- Electronic Products that give off radiation
- Flammable and Hazardous materials – wood chips, matches, cleaning and other chemicals, hazardous gasses, and sprays
- Tobacco Products – including smoking paraphernalia
- Veterinary Products
- Used Automobile Parts
- Lithium Batteries
- Any plant matter
You can refer to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for a detailed description of the restricted products.
You might also need special permission to ship anything that is over $800. This is to prevent any illegal or unwanted shipment from getting across the border.
Now that you are aware of what not to ship, let’s move on to the various paperwork you need to get your products across the border. The following are some common paper works you come across while shipping from Canada to the U.S.
- Commercial Invoice: This has the details of your shipment. It includes, price, value quantity at the forefront but also can include various other details like tax identification number and so on.
- Bill of Lading: It is a document that confirms the receipt of a cargo for shipment and is issued by the carrier.
- Canada Customs Invoices (CCI): A CCI is more or less like a more detailed version of a commercial invoice.
- Proof of Delivery: A document that shows the shipment has been successfully delivered to the location.
- Electronic Export Information: A digital declaration proving a merchandise has left a country.
- Import Permit: The permission for a business to import certain products from outside the country.
Most businesses will sign-up with shippers like ShipShop to take care of all their paperworks and find a good discounted rate on shipping charges as well.
How can ShipShop help?
ShipShop makes shopping for the best shipping rate an ease for your business and in turn helps you save a lot of money while ensuring a peace of mind that your products get delivered on time. Our A.I combs through over 100 shipping services across the country to find the most practical and relevant option that best matches with your needs.
Sign-Up with us and we will take care of all your shipping needs.
How long does it take to ship from Canada to the US?
With ShipShop, it typically takes 1-5 days to get your package from Canada to the US.
Is customs clearance included in the shipping process?
Yep, with ShipShop, all customs clearance is included in the shipping process from Canada to the US.
Q & A
Visit our FAQ section to see answers to some of our most asked questions.
Need help? Shoot us a message or find out more about us and how we can help your business grow.
Shop the Best Shipping Rate with ShipShop
Sign Up for free today!